Braynews

"Laughter is the brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of the heart" - Mort Walker

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Mothering Sunday


As you may imagine today has been difficult. I have been a bit self indulgent and share a picture of Daniel on his first Mother's Day -bless him! I really cannot remember how we spent Mothers Day last year. Ten months on memories fade which is hard as you really want to hang onto everything you can remember. The last day I can remember is of Kevin getting Daniel up in the morning but not before we all had a three way cuddle in our bed. We used to do a lot of that at the weekends. Daniel's oxygen tubing would wind itself around us but that didn't matter. On that last morning he was laughing and grabbing my hair which was so characteristic of him.

In church today we sang one of the songs that was at Daniel's memorial service - Our God is a great big God complete with all the actions. We then sang another emotional song for me where the refrain goes: "empty handed but alive in His hands" This always brings a lump to my throat without fail as I feel the void of life without Daniel. I do thank God, though, that I had the privilege of being a Mother. One of the things I find most difficult following Daniel's death is that some people find it easier to deal with his death because Daniel had Downs Syndrome - we don't. This hurts as it is hard to understand how people can feel that life has less meaning if you are disabled - it hurts even more when they feel they are encouraging us when they tell us!! We will never know the person that Daniel would have been but he would have had a quality of life and parents that love him. It is hard to be left behind sometimes and this has truly been a difficult weekend.

On Friday, when I went into the temporary assignment the lady sitting next to me was overjoyed that she had received a present from her Son which he sent to the office. She then read out the poem that he sent to her - lots of oohs and aaghs from the staff. Uncharacteristically, I am mute... I never begrudge that others have children and enjoy them, it's just sometimes, I feel totally separate. Feeling a little bruised on Saturday I went to a Ladies Meeting at church, which I found difficult emotionally. When I came home there was a lovely bouquet waiting for me from my Sister which cheered me. Her thoughtfulness was really touching particularly as someone had suggested that flowers might offend. How can you offend by giving flowers? (Male readers, please note you can never go wrong with flowers...)

Anyway, on Saturday we also received a letter from Daniel's consultant at St Johns. They have decided to buy a Doppler blood pressure monitor for use with babies who have cardiac conditions from some of the donations received in Daniel's memory. This is very fitting and we are pleased that these funds have been allocated in this way.

I look back on Daniel's life and was thrilled that I had the privilege of being his Mum. That's something that nobody will ever be able to take away

4 Comments:

At 8:57 AM GMT, Blogger Zanne said...

You will always be Daniel's mum such a unique and precious fact that cannot be taken away from you.

Even though he was with you guys for only a short while, his purpose in life was completed before his heavenly father took him home. He had such an impact on your life, and will impact others lives too through this doppler machine, how awsome that such a small man can touch so many people.

Mother's day I can only imagine to be difficult for you, but thank you for sharing Daniel. The picture is precious and so are you, God bless you both.

 
At 9:11 AM GMT, Blogger Tracie said...

Sarah
Thank you so much for sharing such a lovely photo of your beautiful Daniel, l woke on Sunday morning and you were my first thought; l wonder how many others were prompted by the Holy spirit to lift you in prayer Sarah, l was really pleased to see you at church and thought l'd give a great big hug (very uncharacteristic for me) but missed you at the end - l look forward to seeing you tommorrow -
from Trace

 
At 11:35 AM GMT, Blogger Helen said...

Beautiful picture Sarah, glad you felt you could share this with us.

Was nice to see you today!

God Bless.
Helen x.

 
At 9:31 PM GMT, Blogger PatK said...

Like Tracie, you were much in my prayers, both at Ladies Breakfast and on Sunday morning - all through the day, actually.

Sometimes I feel that such "Special Days" are forced and artificial, and for those who grieve, either the loss of a beloved child, or the loss of a mother since the last Mother's Day, such so-called "occasions" can be brutal and draining.

However, it was such a privilege to know your son, and it is a continuing blessing to know you. May God's peace, strength and comfort be yours

Love & Hugs
Pat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home