Braynews

"Laughter is the brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of the heart" - Mort Walker

Monday, February 06, 2006

Busy Doing Nothing


My sabbatical hasn't really turned out how I hoped it would. I had envisaged lazy days catching up with friends, meeting up in quaint coffee shops and discovering new talents. Well, let's just say I have now landed on Planet Reality!!

We have the builders in as our drive needed resurfacing. Is it just me or do Tradesmen have their own timescale (one promised to phone me after 5 pm - which later turned into 9:45 pm!!) A 4-day job is now turning into a 2 week stint instead. Can you imagine my horror when I look out of the window today and see the drive looking a cute barbie pink!! Trying not to show any concern about the revised colour scheme (it should be a staid buff colour) I nonchalantly enquire as to how it will look when it will dry. "Oh, don't worry love it dries up a different colour!!" Well, how was I supposed to know. I have not ventured out of the house as when I do my feet are engulfed in a strawberry dust storm.

Even our radiator in the lounge, is crying and this streaming was curtailed by the plumber last week only to return again with a vengeance.

I have had a bad cold so the only people that I have been in contact with lately have been the Tradesmen who I do believe come off a different planet with their technical language and fluid timescales...

My cold prevented me buying a new frock and going to the Hilton with Kevin on Friday. Ok, it would have been difficult finding an evening hanky complete with rhinestones and I would have needed my own private plumber but that's not the point. I have known Kevin for 18 years and there has never been an opportunity before and I would have liked to have gone before I dance round my Zimmer frame.

My cold is going now and I am relieved as I prepare for my interview on Wednesday. As it is a Christian organisation I have to prove my faith convincingly. I find this a little challenging to say the least. Must remember to take 2 pairs of shoes, one for walking along the strawberry dustfield and the other to look normal (!) in and go with my interview suit. Kevin thought I should put carrier bags on my feet but knowing me I would forget to take them off for the interview. At least I would get noticed...

5 Comments:

At 10:55 AM GMT, Blogger Tracie said...

Hi Sarah,
l am married to a builder and yes they are a rule unto themselves !! In their defence though things very rarely run smoothly in the building trade, l would make a pretty good interpreter though having 19 years experience of the jargon if needed !!
Hope the interview goes well and that the cold completely dries up in advance.
from Trace

 
At 9:03 PM GMT, Blogger Helen said...

Sarah what a shame you missed out on the Hilton, hope you feel better soon.

I have laughed so much at the thought of you turning up at your interview with plastic bags on your feet! Hope you get on well, let us know won't you,
see ya soon!

 
At 7:22 AM GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are awaiting our electrician to turn up, last seen...September! Pete calls him Simon prosh, coz he always says "semaine prochaine" (next week) so we are not holding our breath! our prayers are with you as you prepare for the interview. Zanne X

 
At 10:53 PM GMT, Blogger Lisa said...

How was it Sarah?

Keep blogging...great stuff!

Hope the drive is looking great!

 
At 2:37 AM GMT, Blogger Nicole's Psalm said...

I can't stop laughing Sarah, have you taken Jonathan's spot. hope you got on ok at the interview.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home