Braynews

"Laughter is the brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of the heart" - Mort Walker

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

My first assignment...

Well, I thought it was time to share my "chair story". Get yourself a drink as it's a bit long... No prizes where I got the inspiration from... Let me know what you think!


"Take a seat."
She obeyed meekly feeling incredibly daunted. Her throat felt like yesterday’s toast and she wasn’t even sure that she was breathing but she guessed she must be. Her blouse was nipping her skin and it was such a long time since she had worn tights she had forgotten how uncomfortable and awkward they felt. That summed it up nicely, she thought, I feel like a pair of tights! Oh concentrate, and listen just try to look intelligent, wailed her subconscious.
"So, err…Emily", paused the first interviewer, reading her name off her application form, "why have you applied for this job?"
Because I need the money, why else? She thought. Stalling for time she reached out and took a leisurely sip of water from the glass on the table.
"I believe I have the kind of experience you are looking for, and would welcome the opportunity to build on my administrative skills" she replied in a subdued murmur. How feeble did that sound? Another question followed then another and another and another. It felt like a relentless tirade. She was willing herself to concentrate but found it so hard when her interviewers resembled a couple of vultures poised to pick over the remains of her carcass. But she was alive! It was Mother that died last month. She wanted so very much to do the best she could to make her Mother proud. Come on girl, she urged, you can do this, go, go go…
"It had been a huge sacrifice"; they all said when she had stayed at home to look after her Mother for the past couple of years. During that time she had learnt so much, she mused, but could any of this help her right now? She could hear her Mother’s voice saying, "No experience is ever wasted." Do I really have the strength to prove this right now? She asked herself. I guess I’ll never know unless I try.
" So, Emily, what personal qualities would you bring with you to this role?" the second interviewer asked, without any tone to his voice. She pictured her Mother smiling at her reassuringly.
"Well, I am organised, calm, working well under pressure and very reliable" she replied. These had proven to be essential characteristics when looking after Mother so they had to be transferable skills, didn’t they?
"We have another 5 candidates to interview but we should be able to let you know whether you have been successful by the end of the week" advised the first interviewer.
I suppose should is the operative word, she thought. I don’t even know if I want the job now. She did feel, however, that whatever the outcome attending the interview was a success.
She was on her feet now, shaking her interviewers’ hands and even managing a brief smile, which did not quite reach her eyes. It was over, at last! But, the first chapter of the rest of her life was just beginning.


5 Comments:

At 9:19 AM GMT, Blogger Helen said...

Sarah, that is brilliant! I really like the detail, it makes the reader picture the scene, I like the emotions you have portrayed making the reader both laugh and feel sorry for the character, I think A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++! for you well done, do more!

 
At 9:22 AM GMT, Blogger Helen said...

Also like the last line, and when I say 'feel sorry for the character', I mean the stress of interviews as I remember it well!

 
At 6:52 PM GMT, Blogger PatK said...

Interesting......

Life experince can't be beaten for giving you a deep understanding of the kind of tension you describe, and it takes courage to use such experiences as a springboard for writing.

Lovely use of vocabulary, and you built the tension up beautifully. I was certainly squirming as I read it, so there is an easily identifiable sympathy with the character!

Please, miss, we want some more!!

 
At 7:30 PM GMT, Blogger Tracie said...

Hi Sarah,
Really enjoyed reading your first assignment - L've just found a comment from you on the simpsons cartoon - sorry l havent replied l hadn't even read it l think sometimes the comments don't show l'll have to make a point of checking them even if it says 0 comments - yes of course you can add me to your links, l can't tell you how to do it though as Luke isn't available to give instruction but l'm sure you've probably asked someone else by now!
Funny as it sounds the simpsons do remind me of us (maybe not the same hair though !)

 
At 9:18 AM GMT, Blogger Jonathan said...

I did leave a comment on here a few days ago, which blogger very kindly deleted for me.

Very good writing and very brave also. I would be interested to know how your lecturer/teacher marked it! My attempt turned into a sprawling mass which made 1500 words seem like a distant dream.

If you get anything less than a B+, let me know so I can come to you class and rough the teacher up a bit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home