Braynews

"Laughter is the brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of the heart" - Mort Walker

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Birthdays

Today would have been Daniel's 2nd birthday. A really tough time. I had today off from work because I knew that I wouldn't be able to concentrate. It has been a glorious sunny day. You know how there is normally a nutter in the community somewhere, the one whom everyone avoids... Well, today it was me! I went and bought some bubbles and sat on a park bench systematically creating many bubbles on the skyline. It felt right as Daniel liked bubbles and as time goes on, it is harder to remember what his likes and dislikes are. We still watch the church service which was captured on DVD. It is a very visual reminder of how others remember him, which helps.

People have been very kind, phoning, texting and sending cards. Obviously today has a huge significance to us but we never expected others to remember and it has been a powerful source of comfort to us.

Last year we had a number of people round to celebrate. At the time, I was advised not to allow Daniel to come into contact with children due to the risk of infection. So approximately 12 or so adults and Daniel spent the afternoon together. He revelled in all the attention. He was originally going to be in Great Ormond Street for his birthday but due to a cancellation it meant that we went a couple of weeks later. It's amazing the significance of this cancellation as we can at least hold a special memory. I cannot,however,celebrate today. It is too soon.

In Daniel's service, one of our Pastors, talks about every day being a gift from God. This is a mighty challenge right now.

Kevin and I went to our local pub for a meal this evening so we did have a special time. Moving towards Christmas will become harder and harder too as there are no happy memories of that day with Daniel. His first Christmas was in hospital and his second he was recovering from surgery. I can remember everyone telling me that there would be others. If only! I know he is having the most amazing party in heaven. Knowing him, he would probably be rolling off his cloud waiting for a blonde Angel to catch him...

2 Comments:

At 9:18 AM GMT, Blogger Helen said...

A diificult time for you both, well difficult would be an understatement, I don't have advice, who am I to offer this, but you are both very much in our prayers.

 
At 12:25 PM GMT, Blogger rhi said...

Sarah - don't know what to say - can you send hugs via blogs? Thinking of you and praying for you much at this time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home