Braynews

"Laughter is the brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of the heart" - Mort Walker

Monday, June 06, 2005

First Day

Well, I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today I rejoined the rat race but how sad is this, I chose to… It felt really odd this morning getting ready for my first temporary assignment. The last time I did paid work was in October 2003 so I did feel like I was going to school for the first time (Yes, I can still remember how I felt. They bribed me with biscuits and I never had any again as soon as I went to school – aaaagh….)

My assignment is only covering a reception desk but to add to the fun of life all the phones went down this morning. This should have been good for me but, it meant that all calls were diverted to a mobile and I could only take messages in what felt like 3 seconds before I missed the next call. Still, things got fixed and the afternoon went better although I was getting very bored when the switchboard started dozing off. Just think, I get paid to pray. Every time I had a gap, I can’t leave the desk or do anything but I can pray. If I am honest that was probably me at my most effective.

As a temp, you are often invisible and today I felt that I had borrowed Harry Potter’s cloak of concealment, wrap it round your shoulders and nobody knows that you are there. Still, it has its advantages, nobody expects anything from me other than to be a phone robot. I am there for the rest of the week and then, who knows.

I am applying for jobs but will temp until something turns up. If I could succinctly sell myself it would be – Hard worker looking for interesting job with reasonable wages. That would save me spending 3 hours per application.

I am pleased that I have managed today, as it is helping to restore my confidence. Thank you to all those who have prayed for me, I feel really encouraged.

4 Comments:

At 9:43 AM GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sarah, i am really glad that your first day went ok. hope you have a good week

 
At 4:25 PM GMT, Blogger PatK said...

Glad it went OK, Sarah. Ever fancy being a medical secretary? It wasn't bad wehn I worked on the "Bank" of secretaries that the Mid-Essex Mental Health Team have, and it was quite varied admin work.

I'll be praying that the right position comes up soon.

 
At 5:24 PM GMT, Blogger Penelope said...

Well done Sarah!! Glad it was all ok....the first day is always the worst - so it can only get better from now on!

Will pray that the right job comes along - at the right time!

Have a good week,

Pen xx

 
At 9:20 PM GMT, Blogger Lisa said...

Hello Sarah

Glad to hear that it went well. Keep posting!

God bless
Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home