Braynews

"Laughter is the brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of the heart" - Mort Walker

Sunday, February 13, 2005

40 Days of purpose - Day 1

Braynews

Day One

This is a long blog but today is a special day.

Delighted that today I made church as I feel compelled to do a journal for the 40 days of purpose. This is a bold step for me particularly as I have been a Christian for 19 years and to say that my spiritual temperature is warmish is not an exaggeration (1 year of Christian growth multiplied 19 times…) I will be sharing my journey as I really feel God challenging me to do more and give him more of my life. I am excited as I know that I’ll change but then again perhaps that’s what I’m fearful of.

I find that I can come up with many an excuse as to why I can’t spend more time with God (amazing how a sick child and a non-Christian husband can be used as to the reasons why I can’t do something!). In one of our church services recently the concept of tithing was applied to time and I realised that I wasn’t even spending 1% of each day with God so “the purpose driven life” has come at a good time. I have also realised that during my walk with God I have never given up anything for Lent. I know that I am going to be changed as a result (scary!!!) I sometimes wonder when I look in a mirror what God sees as he knows me and sees me for whom I am. As he loves me unconditionally he doesn’t see what I do and look for all the wrinkles and grey hairs. He wants to build me up and be the person that he created.

I saw the video by Rick Warren at church and found myself being challenged. At that time I felt so embarrassed by my lack of spiritual progress that I couldn’t even complete the grading to understand where I stood in relation to God’s 5 purposes. Having been honest and now scored mainly 2s I feel exhilarated that unlike an appraisal where you have to explain your shortcomings and how you will move on until you reach the acquired level God has a different perspective. He wants to encourage us to trust him to reveal his will for us and our active response. I feel that I have woken up from a deep sleep.

Somehow along the way I managed to get distracted and focus on life and all that it brings rather than on the purpose God has for me and that I was made for him.

I am not super holy I read the 1st chapter of Rick Warren’s book at 6:00 Am. and this is most definitely out of character for me. However, my goldfish brain (is this on the telly now, no it’s a recording, is this on the telly now…) has made me read the chapter twice in the vain hope that by tomorrow I can still remember the biblical verse. 24 hours can be a long time in my life!!

I am looking forward to what tomorrow brings. I pray for everyone who is committed to this opportunity that you would be open to God’s deepest blessings.




2 Comments:

At 8:40 PM GMT, Blogger PatK said...

Looking forward to your insights, Sarah. Good to see you in church on Sunday, and so glad you could make it.

For different reasons, and obviously in different ways, 24 hours also seems like an age at times. But I pray that God will give you one thing each day to feed the soul. It's a biblical principle in it's own right, so when it comes, savour it!

Keep blogging

Love & Hugs

Pat

 
At 9:37 PM GMT, Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Sarah

Just caught up with you blog. It is great that more people are using this great (although sometimes frustrating!) technology to keep in touch and share about how God is working in our lives. Thank you Lord for providing this facility and for enabling Daniel to leave hospital.

Keep blogging Sarah,
God Bless
Love Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home